Saturday, May 24, 2008

Virginia


I took my daughter flying today. I learned an important rule with new passengers: strive for zero turbulence... Our goal was to make it to Carroll Co (TSO) for lunch. It was a beautiful day, the wind was a bit strong at 10kts but was right down the runway from the north. The sky was dotted with some small, puffy, cumulus clouds at about 4,000 feet. After strapping her car seat into the passenger seat of the 152, we got settled in and departed 35 at Zeli. Virginia was very happy and excited looking out the window and asking questions as always. It was a bit bumpy but not particularly noticable. I soon learned however that what may not be noticable for the pilot is very apparent to the passengers. I called Beaver tower to request clearance to transit their airspace and was granted with a request to report over the airport. 10 minutes into the flight and over the airport I realized Virginia had gotten quiet. I looked over and her face was scrunched up and she said her tummy hurt. I immediately called Beaver tower and said I was doing a 180 and heading back to the east. By the time I was on downwind at Zeli, she was wailing. I kept trying to calm her, but realized I had to fly the plane first, get us down and then deal with that part of the situation. I put the the audio panel on isolate to reduce the noise in my headset, and upon listening to the AWOS realized the wind had picked up and was gusting to 20 kts. It was still down the runway luckily and the landing was not particularly hairy. Virginia calmed down on the ground, we fueled up and put the plane back in the hanger. She is now still interested in flying but I will pick my days carefully from now on.

No comments: