Monday, October 11, 2010

Flight Planning Process

I just recently had someone who was about to get their biennial flight review (BFR) ask me how I typically go about planning a flight. Here's what I wrote which is pretty typical of the method and resources I use. Open to suggestions!

---------------------------------
Planning
To loosely figure out where I want to go, airports, distance, route (VORs, airways, direct, etc), and airspace I should be aware of, I use RunwayFinder:
http://www.runwayfinder.com (edit - 12/17/2010 - as of this edit RunwayFinder is shutdown due to a lawsuit from FlightPrep, SkyVector has paid the ransom and is still available)

Once I know the destination and alternates, I look at Airnav and AOPA's Airport Directory. I'll usually print out the kneeboard version of AOPAs directory listing for that airport:

Then, I’ll use FltPlan.com or FlightAware to figure out typical routes used (if going IFR):

Finally, I’ll use AOPA’s flight planner to print a Navigation Log and to file my flight plan via DUAT:


Weather
For weather, I usually use the following in roughly this order

Big picture weather:
http://www.weather.com (Video with the talking head is actually helpful to watch)
http://aviationweather.gov/products/afd/ (I love the individual "free-form" forecasts)

Route weather (TAFs, etc):

Official briefing weather:

Lastly, right before flight I’ll usually called 1800WXBRIEF for an abbreviated briefing where I will ask them for any TFRs that may exist along my route.


2 comments:

:) said...

I like it, it's simple and you get all the required information. I like the idea of an abbreviated weather briefing since all I do before I fly is study the weather.

Unknown said...

Awesome!